We don’t want to be preachy or boring but this blog is where we share our values and experiences and write about the issues shaping the future of our businesses and our society. Catch a glimpse into our lives and find out what’s new in our world...

Wednesday 5 February 2014

My First Month With Sustainability Consult

After a busy and exciting first month with Sustainability Consult, I’d like to share
A light show at the City Hall
my first experiences of living and working in the Belgian capital.


Before moving to Brussels I worked for the communications team of global children’s NGO Plan. My time at their UK HQ sparked my interest in international development so it was a natural step to want to learn about sustainability and how communities and businesses can work towards a more sustainable economy. I wanted to work for Sustainability Consult so I could gain hands-on experience of how to run a sustainable business and to build on my communications experience.

Working as PA to our CEO, Kathryn Sheridan, has provided me with invaluable experience in how to run a small, responsible business. I’ve dived head first into administration, accounts and gained insight into new business development. I’m looking forward to the challenges that the next months will bring!

A highlight of my first month was Green Drinks Brussels. Green Drinks is organised by Sustainability Consult for the EU environment community. As a recent graduate and newcomer to the city, it was the perfect opportunity to seek career tips, share experiences and pick up insider advice on what to see and do in the area. Getting to know Brussels’ environment community boosted my motivation to learn more about sustainability and I can’t wait for the next event.


The Ixelles ponds
Overall, my first month has been full of surprises. I didn’t expect to find such a vibrant and eclectic city. It has been a pleasure to explore the stunning Art Nouveau architecture and to discover Brussels’ underground culture through its fascinating street art. As a self-confessed foodie, I’ve lapped up the opportunity to visit the many markets and delicatessens that can be found across Brussels’s diverse communities. I hope my next month will be filled with many more exciting cultural discoveries. Here’s to February!


The Christmas market on the Rue du Marché aux Herbes 

The Horta Museum 
The Grand Place
Blog by Fionna McLauchlan, PA to CEO at Sustainability Consult on her first month supporting the Sustainability Consult Team

No comments:

Post a Comment